Using XMAP to edit expression maps from Flow+ Professional for use in Dorico

I purchased the Flow+ professional template and now am trying to get the expression maps to work in Dorico. I have discovered that when I import the expression maps into Dorico I get some odd behavior. The default sound that Dorico looks for (set by the “natural” playback technique) is mapped to several different switches. The result is that the default sound for the Orchestral Tools Berlin Brass French Horn 1 (for example), maps the natural articulation to “sus bold”, “sus soft”, and a couple of other switches as well. This was only apparent by hovering over the switch in the expression map dialog to see the underlying playback technique that is being used.

The net result of this is that in order to use the imported expression maps for Dorico, I will need to edit them extensively. That is why I purchased the Xmap tool. However, it seems that it is not possible to edit an expression map file using map without having the underlying excel database to work from. Is that right, or is there some way to pull into excel one of the expression map files, edit it, and then export it again. Without this ability, the map tool does not seem to really create expression maps that are compatible with Dorico in a meaningful way…they will require extensive troubleshooting and editing.

I will go ahead and purchase the database file, but I am not really sure that it will be capable of outputting Dorico expression maps without further rework required in Dorico. Any guidance would be appreciated. I am most concerned about not wasting too much time…glad to support your work on this product, though!

Hi Mark,

The entire products of Artificial Harmonics are done for Cubase and not for Dorico.
Of course you can still try to make them work, but this is some work you will need to do on your side, which is not supported here.

When I compose, I use Dorico for score notation, so I do not care about sound, I just use Note Performer which is perfectly integrated with it and it has already lot of articulations.

Then when it is done I move the MIDI inside CUbase and there I try to make it sound right, using Flow template and all the products available.

Dorico will never do what Cubase can do in term of rendering, if you use it focus on composing and ignore the quality of rendering, Cubase will take care of it :slight_smile:

Hope this helps
Marco